



I am very quickly coming to love and apprecaite life here at Edwards Air Force Base. My good friend Vicki,who lives here too, describes it as our own little desert oasis retreat..... I am not loving it THAT much yet, but I do love it.
Edwards is smack bang in the middle of the Antelope Valley high desert. We are surrounded by huge dry lake beds and all the desert wild life that goes with it. The kids and I regularly go to the park which we often share with the coyotes. It is not typically a problem since the coyotes don't care much for the swings and are happy to share with Emma. :) A bobcat was spotted in the neighborhood a little while back. I never saw it, but my friend's husband went to take the trash out one night and mistook the bobcat for an over grown cat and (tried to) kick it off his front porch. Imagine his surprise!!
Yes, there are snakes too. I try not to think about it. Thankfully I have not seen any yet.... I went for my first run out in the desert a couple of weekends ago. The air was so fresh and clean. I normally run with my precious i-pod, but the silence was so wonderful I was compelled to run enjoying the lack of city noise. The only problem, I seem to run slower. Hmmmm, what gives? I guess it had to do with the coyote bat, snake bite kit, mace, 20 gallons of water and tube of sunblock (SPF 400) that I had to carry with me. I also carry my cell phone. It is not that I get any kind of coverage out there, but I figure I can throw it at whatever else threatens me out in that rough terrain. Okay, only joking (sort of). I have decided it would be much better to find a running partner, which I have. Now I have no need for all the extra safety supplies. All I have to do is make sure I can outrun Annet and I am good to go. :) Okay, only joking (sort of).
So, you can see why I am coming to love it out here......Uh, maybe it is not so clear yet. Well, I don't get it either. All I know is God is good to fill my heart with contentment. I am here with my sweet family, my husband goes to bed next to me every night rather than being thousands of miles away in the "other" desert. I love being removed from the hussle and bussle of the city. I love the fresh smells of the desert and the bright stars at night. I cried for 45 minutes when we first drove up to this place. I couldn't believe the isolation. I have a feeling I will cry alot longer than 45 minutes when it comes time for us to leave this place. Friendships form fast here. I am thankful for that.
There is so much more to say about our life here. Our church, our freinds, homeschooling, Test pilot School.....I will save those for another blog!
3 comments:
Wow. And I thought we were the ones living in the desert...are you sure you all aren't on another planet?? ;)
I love seeing the pictures and hearing about your life! Thanks so much for the updates!!! It always brings a smile to my face :)
Love you!
Well done. You really captured the vastness of that beautiful desert. God is faithful....all the time...even in the desert!
Kiss those babies!
Love love love, Mom
Very well put! you are loved here in LR too
Post a Comment