So, I have been pondering something for awhile now. Since we have lived here at Edwards, I find that we eat out a whole lot more than we have in the past. Now, most of you who know me know that I am not naturally a "bargain shopper" nor am I particularly good at looking for ways to "save a buck." I try, but I am bad at it. I know this makes all you "bargainers" cringe, but I promise, I really am bad at it. But, I digress.
Anyway, despite my lack of a "smart shopper" gene, I began to notice that when we would go out to eat as a family, we were dropping a pretty penny on all the drinks we were ordering. (Since we don't really keep sodas in the house, we would let them have them out for a treat.) I started to pay attention and it is at least 12$ for everyone in our family to get a drink. I have to admit that I don't like to drink my "points" (that is for all you Weight Watcher lovers) and I don't like to drink our money either. So, we began to cut back on drinks. Water and "sharing" drinks has become the norm for us.
You can imagine this has left our kids dumbfounded. WHY?! Well, that is a good quesiton. In my mind I have 1)imagined flashing forward into the future about 15 years and 2)become a fly on the wall. I can just hear our kids saying to our grandkids "my parents never let us get drinks at restaurants because....." WHY? Because why? I wonder what the kids would think about why we did this as a family.
In reality, there are many good reasons not to have sodas. Yes, they are unhealthy. But the truth is, I don't really mind them having a little when we are out. Yes, they are expensive. But the truth is, if we want to budget for drinks out, we can. So, why? Are we just doing it out of some sort of parenting "because I said so" kind of deal? (I know I ramble, my point is coming)
Here is the thing. I just want the kids to see that there is a better way to spend the money that God has given us. Yes, we can buy drinks out, but what else can we do with that money? So, the Lord gave me an idea. We decided to sponsor a child through Compassion International. Now the kids can begin to see that there is a purpose to all of our "madness". Now, when we tell them we are having water, or they are sharing a drink we can remind them it is to benefit little Dylan in Mexico. The money we save from drinks will benefit someone needing far greater things than a Rootbeer. Don't get me wrong. Our kids are not complainers. They don't whine and they are grateful for their blessings. But, I want to turn this "no drinks" thing into an opportunity to teach them about so much more than just a "rule".
So, if you can't tell. I am excited. I am excited to open their little worlds up a bit more. I am excited for them to have a chance to see how something small can have great purpose. I am excited to help little Dylan in Mexico. I am hoping that he will become a regular name in our house and around our table (especially when we are eating out). I am excited to see how the Lord may use this to encourage their little minds to look outward at others needs rather than be inwardly focused on their own needs (and many times wants). I am excited because I need this as much as the kids. It is a family affair. :)
2 comments:
Ponder, Anne, you pondering something. Things have changed since Germany days then. :) We don't usually order drinks either for the same reason. Jeanne
Annie,
That is a great idea, so clever. I never would have thought of it. One thing that helped our kids (for a short time) was when we went to Mexico with them and they saw just how little the kids there had. Their entire homes the size of our bedrooms, only handmade toys and food they grow/kill themselves. Maybe one day (if you haven't already) that would be a good field trip for the kids. Maybe they will equate the kids they see to Dylan! Your kids are little rays of sunshine!!
Jess
Post a Comment